Apple's event this coming week is expected to bring new Apple Watch models, and I wanted to get what I'm expecting out there now so I can be a good Apple rumor guy who brags if I get it right and never talk about it again if I get it wrong.
Apple Watch SE
There are strong rumors that a lower end Apple Watch is coming out to take a spot of the now three year old Series 3 model. My expectations are:
- It will look like a Series 4/5
- It will not have an always-on display
- It will start at $249 (I'd be shocked if they hold the $199 price point of the Series 3)
- It will not have a cellular option
- No 3D Touch
- No ECG
- It will have the same SOC as the Series 4
- Event recaps will say, "it's basically a renamed Series 4"
- The think the "SE" name is more popular than ever, and Apple will want to frame this the same as the iPhone SE: a couple years' old design for a great price.
Apple Watch Series 6
The main event, and my predictions are going to be a little more adventurous with this one.
- Same body shape as the Series 4/5 (not necessarily down to the millimeter, but to the naked eye)
- No 3D Touch
- Higher battery capacity, with Apple proudly commenting on how much better it is than last year's model
- New screen technology that allows them to take the screen even closer to the edges than before
- An exclusive new watch face
- A new health sensor, likely a pulse oximeter
- A new material/finish for at least one of the models (maybe a shiny aluminum)
- A new color, likely a dark blue/green
- New watch band style, as well as new colors for the new season
- Shipping this month (likely Sept. 25), pre-orders as soon as the event is over
- Same pricing as current models ($399 aluminum, $699 stainless)
These of course are not based on any inside info, just guesses based on rumors and general expectations, so we'll see how close I am in a few days.