Good morning! I have something to admit: I’ve been meditating every morning for the last couple weeks. I’ve never done meditation before and I have to admit I thought it was a bogus activity that just made a lot of money for those who sell meditation products. And while that second part may be true, I’ve actually been surprised by the value I’ve been getting out of it. I’ve been using a website called Headspace to guide me through learning how to meditate, and I have to say I’m enjoying it.
I decided I wanted to give this crazy practice a try when I noticed how exhausted I was basically all the time. Managing my family life, job, this website, a podcast, and a semblance of a social life was manageable, but it also meant that all of my time was dedicated to thinking about something. Every moment I was awake was dedicated to consuming or producing something. I never really took time to reset.
I don’t know what bigger things meditation can do for me, and I can’t even say for certain that I will continue to meditate for much longer. What I do know is that taking 10 minutes at the start of every day to clear my head and think about absolutely nothing is a welcome change that does bring me a little peace to start my day. I proceed to do all the things afterwards, but I feel better going into the day by doing this.
Che k out Headspace if you are at all curious. They have a free 10 day intro course that gets you going. Don’t tell them, but I’m just looping through this free course over and over.
On to the news!
- NBA 2K16 (TODAY – PS4/XBO/PS3/360/PC)
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 (TODAY – PS4/XBO)
Links of note
- The Apple bias is real – The Verge
- I’m Not Signing Up for Apple Music, and Neither Should You – Sanspoint
- Why iOS Could Become the Enterprise OS of the Millennial Generation – TechPinions
- WTF is Wrong with Video Games? – Polugon
- The ultimate iPhone camera comparison: How does the iPhone 6s camera compare to every other iPhone generation? – Snap Snap Snap
- Wishlist for Swift 3.0 – Jared Sinclair
- On Acceptable Ads – Dean Murphy
- The Dad Who Wrote a Check Using “Common Core” Math Doesn’t Know What He’s Talking About – Patheos
- Christina Warren’s review of the iPhone 6S – Mashable
- Advance streaming has changed the music industry, but it won’t last forever – The Verge
- My love letter to the iPad – Ryan Plummer
- I’m 15 and all of my friends use Facebook – Mashable
- Social Dark – Matt Gemmell
Swag of the week
I read The Night Circus a couple years ago and I still think about it every once in a while. Everyone has those books that just work for them, and this is one that I simply adored. Author Erin Morgenstern writes with a delightful flow, and if you decide to listen to the audiobook, Jim Dale does a marvelous job of bring the story to life.