Since losing my activity data in this watchOS beta period I’ve come to realise how I use it has altered since owning the original. I’ve also taken a break from it and come back all because of one thing – my calendar.
Lee lost all his activity data after using the watchOS 6 beta, which is really rough, but his point about the calendar being the “one feature” that keeps him on the Apple Watch got me thinking: what feature (or features) keeps me using my Apple Watch?
- Calendar. Like Lee, having my work calendar on my wrist, especially with the Siri watch face, has been a game changer for me at work.
- OmniFocus has a good Watch app and on days where I have a lot to do, getting it on my watch face is monumentally useful for me, and ticking things off from my wrist with haptic feedback and everything is very satisfying.
- Weather checks are easier on my watch than my phone.
- Notification filtering, especially around emails is major for me. I get a notification for every email and when one comes in I either (a) archive it if I don’t need it, (b) read it immediately on my phone, or (c) save it for later so I can deal with it later. Ultimately, this means when I sit down to work on my email, only things I actually need to address are in my inbox. It’s the best tool I have for maintaining inbox zero at all times.
- Workout tracking, of course.
- Taps on my wrist for driving navigation.
- Siri on my wrist for when I’m out of the house.
- Morning alarms that don’t wake up my wife, they just tap me on the wrist.
- Media playback controls, which are mostly useful when on a walk or run.
- Apple Pay with a tap.
- Remote camera control, which I have used 3 times this summer for different family photos we’ve taken.
- Voice memos, such as when you’re with a doctor and they’re giving instructions you need to remember.
- This isn’t software, but I also love the ability to customize my watch with the vast array of watch bands out there.
I think that’s it for now, but it would appear that I am far from giving up my Apple Watch anytime soon.