The Birchtree Newsletter, August 2022
The Birchtree Newsletter is now monthly! I've fallen off the wagon recently, and I still want to bring you guys fun stuff, but doing that every week became too much, but monthly works so much better, so I hope you enjoy it as well. Here's what we'll cover each issue:
- Birchtree Stuff: things I made this month I think you should check out in case you missed them.
- Notable Links: games, fun sites, fonts, design, and whatever else.
- Good Videos: some of the best YouTube from the past month
- On Repeat: music I can't stop listening to.
- I've been trying out Raindrop.io as a more modern, more easilty-automated way to save web pages for the long haul.
- MegaBlock lets you provide a bad tweet, and block the person who sent it as well as every single person who liked it.
- Gail Myerscough has some amazing artwork.
- Mr. Squarepants and the Dumb Starfish is objectively stupid, but it's worth at least a few minutes of your time.
- Standard Ebooks looks like a rad place where you can get high-quality ebooks of tons of books in the public domain.
- Lego's new Minifigure Factory is rolling out slowly, but it lets you create custom minifigs of you, your loved ones, or basically anyone you want. I got one and it was pretty good, but I hope they add a ton more options in the future. I'm thinking something on the level of the Xbox Design Lab.
- Maggie Rogers burst onto the scene in 2019 with a few incredible singles, and while her second record, Surrender doesn't achieve as many of the same highs as that debut, a few songs like Want Want stand out on this very solid follow-up.
- ODESZA makes prime nighttime drive music, and their latest, The Last Goodbye, continues that trend.
- GRMLN is the solo project of Japanese musician Yoodoo Park, and while his latest record is Lost Days In Lake Biwa, this is his second LP out this year, and his eighth since 2019(!!), so just pick up whenever you want in his discography (2014's Soon Away is a highlight too).